Tuesday, March 3, 2015

NancyK's Top 10 Romance Novels

1. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen


2. Devil's Bride by Stephanie Laurens

I just reread this fine historical romance recently and it still just as compelling as the first time. I willingly suspend belief, in terms of the mystery that brings the hero and heroine together. This story starts the wonderful Cynster series. I may have to reread the rest of the series, possibly in order. What got me started was the list of Romance Books Everyone Should Read, on Goodreads. Devil's Bride is my number 2 on my top ten list, behind Pride and Prejudice, only because it is referred to so often that many references in romance novels would be lost if the reader had not read it. That said, Devil's Bride is a MUCH more enjoyable read, and yes, the love scenes are HOT! Thank you Stephanie Laurens, for the Cynster series, and Devil's Bride in particular.

3. His Serene Miss Smith by Essie Summers

This is vintage Harlequin romance at its best.  I adore Essie Summers, and have all of her books in one format or another. His Serene Miss Smith is my favorite of the Essie Summers' books. The heroine is sweet but not sugary. Most Essie Summers books are heavily involved with family and this is no exception. I love that kids are an integral part of the story, her sister, his niece. That they meet in the workplace, but home and family are a huge influence and factor in the story. The hero is a genuinely nice guy. Asking me to pick my favorite romance novel is like asking which of my children I love best. And this novel is one of my best-loved.

4.  Miss Wonderful by Loretta Chase

Loretta Chase has a fantastic way with words, I giggle all the way through this historical romance. Her description of the hero, his manner of dress and droll comments, - I love it. The scene at the end where the hero and heroine marry, and the captain in the audience is sitting with the heroine's governess:

" Captain Hughes smiled. He had no idea what the difficulty had been, but he could guess how the bridegroom had sorted it out.
"What are you smirking at?" Mrs. Entwhistle whispered.
"I am not smirking," he whispered back. "I am smiling benignly upon the happy couple."
"You are smirking. I can guess why. It is bad of you to notice."
"You were her governess," he said. "I must wonder what you taught her."
To his delight, the widow's cheeks turned pink. "Lionel, you are incorrigible," she said.
Lionel. Oho. Perhaps not so many years after all."

I love it. And it is the first in the Carsington brothers series. Yay!

5. Night Watch by Suzanne Brockmann

This is a fun contemporary Harlequin romance to read. Wes is kinda the bad  guy in a few of the previous Tall, Dark & Dangerous series novels. But Suzanne does a fine job explaining his backstory and turning him into the hero. And I love a story where their first date they both insist they are not interested in a relationship, for perfectly valid reasons, I might add. The scene where Wes fights the stalker in the pool, and the cleanup scene after - HOT! And I love the (almost) final scene, sitting on the stairs talking. Oh, heck, I love the whole book. A few of the other Tall, Dark & Dangerous series novels would make my top 25 but this is my favorite, by far.

6.  Royally Bedded, Regally Wedded by Julia James

This is number 6 on my personal list. Why? A secret baby, a prince and a plain Jane, an arranged marriage, THEN a makeover into a princess. My favorite Harlequin Presents. Fun, fun fun.

7. A Secret Love by Stephanie Laurens

The second Stephanie Laurens historical romance in my top 10. The heroine is a strong woman, who has been the support of her family, privately, for many years. She has given up a lot for her family and meets the hero in that guise. She knows what she wants, and goes after him. The hero is equally strong, and as I have mentioned before in a review, I love a story when they first meet they both insist they are not interested in a relationship, for perfectly valid reasons, I might add. I love the family in this story, yes one of the Cynsters series, and I love the hero's pursuit of the heroine through the Haut Ton, no less.

8. London's Perfect Scoundrel by Suzanne Enoch

Excellent historical romance. Something about the heroine kidnapping the hero, a lovely bad boy, rake, scoundrel, and playboy, to save her orphanage no less. Suzanne does a fine job turning this bad guy into her hero. And this is the middle of an excellent series - Lessons in Love. But this is my favorite . The heroine does something bad for the right reasons, and the hero is just a flat out bad guy, that she persuades to reform. Just lovely!

9. The Banker's Convenient Wife by Lynne Graham

Hero gets amnesia and doesn't remember his marriage of convenience. Typical Harlequin Presents story - but wait. When the hero wrecked his car he had the heroine's photo in his hand. OK not so typical. She is goth, he is a banker. He is a playboy, she is not typical playboy girlfriend (or mistress or wife for that matter). This is one of my faves, as they go back and forth. Interesting how opposites attract. Interesting how each of their ideal marriages ends up being the same, marriage that is.

10. The Real Rio D'Aquila by Sandra Marton

Harlequin Presents, also Mills and Boon Modern (I like their covers better, so sometimes pick their editions). Heroine mistakes hero for the caretaker instead of the tycoon. But this is not full of angst and drama. Sandra Marton does a fine job of these two falling in love, they speak the same language, like the same things, it makes sense. And when she finds out who he is, her family rides to the rescue, again, given what they knew, perfectly reasonable. When the hero comes apologize, (grovel, yay) he has to run the gauntlet of the heroine's brothers and brother in law. When he asks if they have ever done anything similar, their reactions are priceless! Just a really nice feel-good romance.

No comments:

Post a Comment